Namaskaram - salutations

Namaskaram - salutations I dedicate my blog to the enormous art lovers across the globe I love knitting so much that I have started a blog for knitting.Knitting is a job that I will like to go on.Through knitting I breathe life into many people's life. It is knitting time. When I want to relax I do it with knitting. I am a knitting buff.I love to do knitting on various topics. There is no way that you can stop me doing knitting.I am born with a flare for knitting.My face brightens once I touch the knitting needs.The electronic media has helped knitting to travel across the world.Every stitch made will talk about how knitting has influenced people.I have done some and would like to share it with you. Some patterns have been taken from free knitting sites. Some designs have been created by me. Many a times I have modified the patterns to suite my requirements. Finally I can say that I breathe knitting, I talk knitting, I walk knitting - a total knitaholic

Thank You

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your appreciations are most welcome

My sweet buddies

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Brahma purana - an introduction

Introduction to Brahma purana
by Dipavali Debroy-Bibek Debroy

The Puranas are the sacred texts of Hinduism. The Ramayana and Mahabharata are the two great epics known to all. The Mahabharata states that there are 18 puranas and names three of them – the Markandeya purana, the Vayu purana and the Matsya purana. In Ramayana there is no mention of the puranas as such but the word purana has been used several times. This clearly tells us that the composers of Ramayana and Mahabharata were well versed with the ancient texts.

It is agreed that there are 18 major Puranas and are known as Mahapuranas. The several minor puranas are referred to as upapuranas. There is no disagreement with regard to the names of the mahapuranas. The only disagreement is with the name of the fourth. Some say the fourth is the Vayu purana while some say it is the Shiva purana . All agree the first purana is the Brahma purana.

Characteristic features of the puranas:

Any Mahapurana is supposed to have basic five lakshana [characteristics]. The text must describe five subjects. These five subjects are the original creation of the universe[sarga], the periodical process of destruction  and re-creation[pratisarga], the different eras[manvantara], the histories of the solar dynasty [ surya vamsha] and the lunar dynasty[ Chandra vamsha] and royal genealogies [vamshanucharita]. The Brahma purana does describe all these five subjects/elements.


The puranas are associated with the Hindu Trinity- Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. Brahma is regarded as the creator, Vishnu the preserver and Shiva the destroyer. These three important gods are glorified in the puranas.Their relative emphasis might vary from text to text. The puranas which gives importance to Vishnu will talk about his incarnation [avatara] and they are termed as Sattvika purana.. The puranas that gives importance and describe the creation in depth are called as Rajasika purana and are associated with Brahma. Finally the Tamasika purana tells about how a devotee should practise a lot of norms and rituals ,these are to be associated with Shiva.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...