Namaskaram - salutations

Namaskaram - salutations I dedicate my blog to the enormous art lovers across the globe I love knitting so much that I have started a blog for knitting.Knitting is a job that I will like to go on.Through knitting I breathe life into many people's life. It is knitting time. When I want to relax I do it with knitting. I am a knitting buff.I love to do knitting on various topics. There is no way that you can stop me doing knitting.I am born with a flare for knitting.My face brightens once I touch the knitting needs.The electronic media has helped knitting to travel across the world.Every stitch made will talk about how knitting has influenced people.I have done some and would like to share it with you. Some patterns have been taken from free knitting sites. Some designs have been created by me. Many a times I have modified the patterns to suite my requirements. Finally I can say that I breathe knitting, I talk knitting, I walk knitting - a total knitaholic

Thank You

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your appreciations are most welcome

My sweet buddies

Saturday, January 29, 2011

How to convert a crochet patten into a knitting pattern

Converting a pattern from Crochet to a pattern in knitting

It is always very important to measure the gauge before doing any pattern. This rule applies to this conversion technique also.Ensure that you are able to get the correct size or shape when you convert a crochet pattern to a knitting pattern.

How would you convert a crochet pattern into a knitting patter?
Remember that the rows in crochet are broder [ height] while in knitting the rows are thinner[height]. Hence 2 rows of knitting will be sufficient to replace 1 row in crochet.

Here are few simple steps that will help you to make necessary changes in the pattern.

1.Try to use similar size[type] of knitting needles to get the correct gauge.

2.With the help of a knitting needles create a sample piece of gauge to get the correct size.

3. Substitutions for a crochet row to a knitting row are done by using knit stitch, purl stitch or garter stitch.

4.The best way to achieve the size of a gauge required for a pattern is to change the size of knitting needles.

5. Always make a copy of the pattern that you want to make a change. It is advisable so that the original crochet pattern does not have too many pencil marks or corrections.

6.Use a pencil to write the stitches above the crochet stitches.

7. Instead of begining with a chain in crochet, you will have to cast on stitches with yarn onto the knitting needles. Here the gauge - will help you to match the number of stitches accordingly.

8. A row of single crochet is converted to knitting as a Stocking stitch [1 row knit, 1 row purl] or two rows of garter stitch [every row knit stitch]

9. One row of half-double crochet is replaced by three rows in knitting[knit 1 row, purl 1 row, knit 1 row] or either stocking stitch or garter stitches. You require 3 rows in knitting.

10.One row of double crochet is substituted as 4 rows in knitting i.e. knit 1 row, purl 1 row, knit 1 row, purl 1 row. Even a garter stitch or stocking stitch can be done,ensure that you cover 4 rows.

11.A row of treble crochet is changed into six rows of stocking stitch[knit 1 row, purl 1 row, knit 1 row, purl 1 row, knit 1 row, purl 1 row] in knitting. A garter stitch of six rows can also be used.

12.Always keep track of the gauge to ensure that the measurements are correct.

****. Please keep in mind that the creator has worked hard to create a beautiful piece. If we were to change it to a different type[mode] the new creation will not have the same effect/impression of the original. Hence it is always to keep the original pattern as is whether it is crochet or knitting.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...