Namaskaram - salutations

Namaskaram - salutations I dedicate my blog to the enormous art lovers across the globe I love knitting so much that I have started a blog for knitting.Knitting is a job that I will like to go on.Through knitting I breathe life into many people's life. It is knitting time. When I want to relax I do it with knitting. I am a knitting buff.I love to do knitting on various topics. There is no way that you can stop me doing knitting.I am born with a flare for knitting.My face brightens once I touch the knitting needs.The electronic media has helped knitting to travel across the world.Every stitch made will talk about how knitting has influenced people.I have done some and would like to share it with you. Some patterns have been taken from free knitting sites. Some designs have been created by me. Many a times I have modified the patterns to suite my requirements. Finally I can say that I breathe knitting, I talk knitting, I walk knitting - a total knitaholic

Thank You

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your appreciations are most welcome

My sweet buddies

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Using Patterns

It is easy for us to adapt or change a pattern. The simplest way of using one of the stitch patterns is to substitute it for another stitch in a garment pattern that you want to change.
This can be acheived only when we can optain or maintain the same tension that is specified in the pattern. It is important to note that tension is the fundamental to successful knitting.
The next step is while substituting a stitch , ensure that the multiples of stitches that you are going to follow will fit across the measurement.
for example:
if the original garment pattern has 136 stitches across chest/bust measurement,you must chose a stitch pattern that consists of multiple of 13 stitches plus 6.This multiples has to be reapted 10 times more. This new stitch pattern will fit exactly to the original stitch pattern.
Suppose we take a stitch pattern which is a multiple of 14, with no stitches to balance,then it will have to be repeated 9.7 times. These repeat of 9 times will produce only 126 stitches and you will have a narrower fabric.
In many cases this variation may not be a problem and will not affect the pattern. Hence it is vital that we must calculate this details in advance and decide if the finished size will be acceptable .
For a novice it is better to stitck to the existing knitted pattern that will have a fit mor or less your body measurements.
Choose a pattern which has a simple shaping. A squared-off sleeve top will be an easy one.
Check measurements of the pattern in the follwoing places:
  • around the chest/bust
  • from shoulder to the lower edge of the front/back[it is more easy to add or substract the stitches below the armhole shaping]
  • along the sleeve seam
  • around the lower edge of the sleeve[wrist or arm]
  • from the top [neckline end] of the shoulder seam down to the centre of the neckline.
  • draw a simple diagram of the front, back and sleeve and mark these measurements on the three sections.This will give you an idea how the pattern can be worked.
  • calculate the required number of stitches by using the stitch and row tension as this will help you to gauge the width measurements and the number of rows between shaping points.
  • alernately you can use a graph paper to plan the shape visually.
  • lastle you can write down your own instructions for the pattern.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...