Namaskaram - salutations

Namaskaram - salutations I dedicate my blog to the enormous art lovers across the globe I love knitting so much that I have started a blog for knitting.Knitting is a job that I will like to go on.Through knitting I breathe life into many people's life. It is knitting time. When I want to relax I do it with knitting. I am a knitting buff.I love to do knitting on various topics. There is no way that you can stop me doing knitting.I am born with a flare for knitting.My face brightens once I touch the knitting needs.The electronic media has helped knitting to travel across the world.Every stitch made will talk about how knitting has influenced people.I have done some and would like to share it with you. Some patterns have been taken from free knitting sites. Some designs have been created by me. Many a times I have modified the patterns to suite my requirements. Finally I can say that I breathe knitting, I talk knitting, I walk knitting - a total knitaholic

Thank You

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your appreciations are most welcome

My sweet buddies

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Knitting as an art form

In knitting, the loops of thread are formed by a pair of rods called needles. Patterns are created by using contrast threads .In weft knitting, the regular hand-knitting process that can also be done by machine, the work progresses back and forth; in each course, or new row of stitches, one loop is added to each wale, or chain of loops hanging vertically from the needles. In warp knitting, which is done by machine, the work progresses along the wales. Knitted tubing can be made on spools or circular frames without needles. The yarn or thread is held on a row of pegs that project from and surround the center opening of the spool or frame. Such knitting is also possible when the yarn is held on four of the knitter's fingers instead of on a spool, and it can be made on a large circular needle.


It can be said that the pre-Columbian Peru by the nazca culture [100 BC-AD700] developed this art in the fringes of woven cloths. Knitting apparently was introduced into Europe by the Arabs during the 5th century. During the Middle Ages guilds controlled the manufacture of knitted goods such as woollen caps.The craft flourished in England and Scotland in the 14th and 15th centuries. By 1589 a machine to knit stockings had been perfected in Nottingham by the English clergyman William Lee, whose knitting frame was so excellent that few improvements were needed for over 250 years. Later English developments-a ribbing device (1758), a warp-knitting machine (1775), and a circular knitting machine (19th century)-This led to the modern day industry of hosiery and other garments.The 19th century machine-knitted underclothes were common. Commercial knitting centers developed in English cities such as Nottingham and Leicester, and in the U.S. in Germantown, Pennsylvania,and in India Ludhiana and Tirupur are centeres for machine knitting industries.

Today it has been developed as a handcraft.It is considered as a folk art which has rich traditional regional designs. It is so popular that many designs are being circulating in printed handbooks. In Scandinavia, regional patterns in yarns of contrasting color became characteristic. Other regional styles, such as those of Ireland and the Shetland Islands, were distinguished by different patterns. Another style that was developed is ribbon knitting, in which the use of flat ribbons rather than soft yarns results in a markedly distinctive fabric. In addition to these hand techniques, small knitting machines, which require a high degree of artisanship in their use, also became available to home knitters.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...