Namaskaram - salutations

Namaskaram - salutations I dedicate my blog to the enormous art lovers across the globe I love knitting so much that I have started a blog for knitting.Knitting is a job that I will like to go on.Through knitting I breathe life into many people's life. It is knitting time. When I want to relax I do it with knitting. I am a knitting buff.I love to do knitting on various topics. There is no way that you can stop me doing knitting.I am born with a flare for knitting.My face brightens once I touch the knitting needs.The electronic media has helped knitting to travel across the world.Every stitch made will talk about how knitting has influenced people.I have done some and would like to share it with you. Some patterns have been taken from free knitting sites. Some designs have been created by me. Many a times I have modified the patterns to suite my requirements. Finally I can say that I breathe knitting, I talk knitting, I walk knitting - a total knitaholic

Thank You

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your appreciations are most welcome

My sweet buddies

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Thoranam - festoons

Thoranam or festoons are part of hindu festivities. Which ever part of  India you go , you are sure to find this thorans on the threshold [ vasa padi] of every homes. Originally it is made of Mango leaves but of late alternate items have been developed. I have knitted these for you. Have kept the middle of the leaf empty. I have left it empty so that you can use your imagination and add your choice of items like God's photo, flowers.

1. Thoranam hanging


2. Thoranam  dangling

3. Thoranam placed in a circle


4. Thoranam in circle another picture  


Let me explain how I assembled it.
First I made an I-cord of one meter
Then I made small balls of  yellow wool



Then with a help of a crochet hook picked up stitches from the I-cord



The stitch picked with the help of a crochet needle is placed on the knitting needle


Now add 12 stitches as per picture below


Now the cluster of small woollen balls will look. Do not feel disturbed if it gets knotted. As we are going to work simultaneously to make 8 leaves.

Now the picked up stitches will look like the below picture on the reverse side


After picking up 12 stitches, please knit garter stitch [ every row knit] to get 10 ridges of pattern [ knit 21 rows]. Then start to reduce at both ends of odd rows and knit every even rows. When you have one stitch on needle bind up and leave a 6 cm of thread. I left this because during seasonal times you can thread any flower of choice and leave it hanging.

So now you have a great Thoranam [festoon] that will adorn your pooja rooms.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...